Organic Chemistry Links Hub
Physical Data of Organic Compounds:
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (Chapter 3 – Organic Compounds)
- Common Chemicals (ACS) (Common Chemical Database for Non-Chemists—accepts common names e.g. aspirin and CAS#)
- Organic Chemicals (Health and Safety) (French-Canadian site, use Google Translate)
The Official IUPAC Rules for Nomenclature of Organic Compounds
- IUPAC Nomenclature “Gold Book” – The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry – Extremely User-friendly.
- IUPAC Nomenclature Home Page – Queen Mary University
- IUPAC Nomenclature “Blue Book” by ACD Labs
- Ka : Acid Dissociation Constant (useful equations and extended concepts)
- Bordwell pKa Table (in DMSO) (Hans Reich, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison)
- R. Williams pKa and pKb Table (PDF) (R. Williams, Penn. State. Univ.)
- Acidity-Basicity Data (pKa Values) in Several Non-aqueous Solvents (I. Leito, Univ. of Tartu) (with primary sources)
Chemical Drawing Software:
- ChemSketch by ACD Labs (Direct download) : FREE for personal and academic use. (CNET; Softonic download) Windows (Intel-based Mac users must use Virtualization software; e.g. Parallels, VMWare Fusion 3, or Virtual Box.
- Avogadro (3D Molecule Drawings) : FREE Open Source. Cross-platform (Linux, Windows and iOS).
- ChemBioDraw by CambridgeSoft: Paid ((iOS, Windows) free 2 week trial; purchase price: $1500-$4000; universities often have free academic access, iPad App version is $9.99 but is only for drawing. It is not the full publishing suite.)
Looking for ideas for a specific bond making reaction?
- Organic Synthesis Search : Browse synthetic transformations by the desired bond formation.
- Chemistry By Design by Prof. Njardarson at the University of Arizona. “An interactive virtual flashcard that would allow students to test their skills using known synthetic sequences [to build complex molecules].” This is an ambitious and growing body of work aligned with the idea of advancing organic synthetic knowledge by case study of structurally complex targets (not for the beginner), an interesting approach to the study of the art and science of chemical synthesis. Available free on iTunes and Android App stores.
Free Online Organic Chemistry e-Textbooks:
- Organometallic HyperTextbook – by Rob Toreki
- Have one to add? Write us.
Spectroscopic Databases (MS, FTIR, 1H NMR, 13C NMR):
- SDBS (Spectral Database for Organic Compounds) (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST))
- Online Elemental Data Index. Interactive Table (choose “no frames” for most browsers)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory – Downloadable Table PDF/.doc and other information on the elements.
Considering a Career & Graduate School in Chemistry?
- By Research Group:
- By Faculty Mentor/Professor:
Prominent Journals of Organic Chemistry
ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters
Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis
Angewandte Chemie, International Edition
Annual Reports on the Progress of Chemistry, Section B: Organic Chemistry
Asian Journal of Organic Chemistry
Australian Journal of Chemistry
Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry
Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry
Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters
Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan
Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin
European Journal of Organic Chemistry
Journal of the American Chemical Society
Journal of Biological Chemistry
Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling
Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1
(As of 2002 see Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry )
Journal of Combinatorial Science
(formerly called >The Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry )
Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry
Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
Journal of Molecular Catalysis A
Journal of Molecular Catalysis B
Journal of Organometallic Chemistry
Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry
Journal of Polymer Science Part A
Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry
(Replaced Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1 last edition 2002)
Organic Process Research and Development
Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences