How To Ace Organic Chemistry (Part I) Want to Ace Organic Chemistry? Organic...
Organic Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 1:
Atoms and Orbitals
- Trends in the Periodic Table
- Atomic Radius/Polarizability
Acids and Bases in Organic Chemistry
- Introduction to Bonds and Molecules
- Types of Bonds
- Lewis Structures
- Resonance Structures
- Ways of Representing Molecules
- Condensed Formula
- Structural Formula
- Bond-Angle Formula
- Constitutional Isomerism
- Special Topic: The Molecular Model Kit
- Formal Charge
- Other Representations
- Newman Projections
- Cyclohexane Conformers
- Fischer Projections
- Alkyl Halides
- Other Functional Groups
- Reaction Coordinate Diagrams and the Potential Energy Surface
- Transition States vs. Intermediates
- Free Energy (G) & Enthalpy (H)
- Carbenium ions/Carbocations
- Markovnikov’s Rule (Anti-Markovnikov Regiochemistry)
- Syn vs Anti Addition
Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Reactions of Dienes
- Radical Reactions
- Alkane Halogenation
- Initiation, Propagation, Termination
- Configurational Isomerism
- Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (C-I-P) Rules & Determination of Absolute Configuration
- Meso Compounds
- Optical Activity
- Enantiomeric Excess
- Racemic vs. Scalemic
- Axial chirality, Helical chirality,
- Prochirality and the Concepts of Homo- and Heterotopicity
- Alkynes: Introduction to Synthesis—C-C bond formation
- pKa of sp carbon and Acetylides
- Addition Reactions of Alkynes
Reaction Pathways at sp3 Carbons
- Bimolecular and Unimolecular Substitution at sp3 Carbon.
- Relative rates of reaction.
Important oxygen-containing functional groups, their synthesis and typical reactivity.
- Alcohols, Ethers, and Epoxides
- Pseudo Halides and Alcohol Activation
- Bimolecular and unimolecular elimination mechanisms.
- Zaitzev’s Rule vs Hoffman’s Rule.
Introduction to Retrosynthetic Analysis
- Bond disconnection and planning
Structural Elucidation: Analysis and Identification of Organic Compounds
Mass Spectrometry (MS)
- Electron Impact Mass Spectrometry
- Molecular Ion peak vs. the Base Peak
- Isotopes and their Consequences in MS
Infrared (IR) Spectroscopy
- Hookes’ Law
- Absorption Spectroscopy
- Bonds and their Stretch, Bend, and Wag Peaks.
- Overtones and the Fingerprint Region.
lH and 13C Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR)
- Nuclear Spin States
- Free induction decay
- Fourier transformation
- Interpretation of NMR spectra
*Other Analytical Methods
(when taken with Organic Chemistry Laboratory)
- The Woodward Rules
- Retention Time
- How can you tell when a reaction has gone to completion?
- How do you purify side products from the desired product?